Once you’ve received this quest from Mother Giselle (she will give it to you in the main hall of Skyhold at a certain point in both plot and approval), you have a decision to make: you can either take Dorian to the meeting blind or you can warn him first. Even if you tell Mother Giselle you’re going to warn him, you can still attempt to take him without talking to him. It’s important to note that taking him without talking to him actually nets the most approval.
- Select either “Don’t leave it like this” or “You didn’t let him speak.” The latter option will give disapproval. He will then talk with his father and they will reach a mutual understanding.
How Do You Keep Dorian and His Father Estranged?
- Select either “Let’s get you out of here” or “Are we done?” The latter option will give disapproval. You will just leave his father there.
How Do You Get the Most Approval?
- Don’t tell Dorian about the letter. (Gives another conversation option)
- Select either “Don’t leave it like this” or “Let’s get you out of here.” (Avoids disapproval)
- Select “Are you all right?” back at Skyhold. (+5)
- Select “I’m sorry,” when he asks why you didn’t tell him. (+5)
- Select “You’re brave.” when he asks you what you think about him. (+5)
At the end, you’ll also get a “Dorian Greatly Approves” (+20), so you should net a total of +35 approval points throughout.
Dorian’s father certainly seems repentant, but the answer to this question really lies within you. Dorian seems to have moved on either way. So the question is whether or not what Dorian’s father did is something that you think should be forgiven. Through the dialog, we are led to understand that Dorian’s father attempted to use blood magic to change his son’s sexual orientation. Moreover, information about Tevinter indicates that this is really all about succession and politics, not any innate believe that Dorian’s orientation will lead to unhappiness for him. In other words, out of pure greed. It wouldn’t be acceptable even if so, but it might be more understandable.
We also know through Cole’s banters that Dorian’s father truly meant it, emotionally, when he disowned Dorian. Cole remarks “He wishes he hadn’t meant it.” So though his heart may be in the right place now, there was definitely a time when it wasn’t. It remains to be seen whether he could hurt Dorian again should they reconcile.
How Do I Get Dorian’s Personal Quest?
Dorian’s personal quest is really bugged–so much so that it’s really a toss up as to whether you’ll get it or not. There are some ways that you can make it more likely, but there’s no certain way to ensure that you get it–which can be a bummer for those romancing the mustachioed companion.